Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The title of the post will be at the end…you have to read the story first.

Have you every wondered why I named my little farm Rosebriar Farm? 
Could it be my love for roses? 
roses 2   roses3 rosesIMG_0065DSC_0046
Well you see, I have 31 rose bushes (but who’s counting), I have even managed to start one of my own.  That was a milestone for me, it was like a kid getting a new bike for Christmas when I realized I had started my own bush from a root of one I had transplanted months before.  This is no easy task mind you, EVERYONE has to go buy their bushes either as really small plants or in larger pots from a nursery. 
Jen and I also have a feDSC_0269w plantsDSC_0274 that mean a lot to us.   She has a small Lemon tree,  still in a pot on the back porch that was kind enough to bear its first lemon this year.  I have a plumeria, that was purchased for $6 in Hawaii in 2006, when we went to Wil and Holly’s Wedding.  I often joke of this being a $10,000 plant that came with an 8 day Hawaiian vacation.  Many of the family member bought back similar sticks (plumeria cuttings); we work so hard at keeping this tropical plant alive it now has 9 braches that produce flowers.  Each year it produces more we now get about 100 blooms from June until just before the first frost, when it is relocated to our bathroom to live for the winter, where the steam of the shower provides a green house effect for it.  By the way NO ONE else in the family has every had theirs bloom; I’m not bragging (well maybe just a little) just stating facts.  Thanks to Laura “Ninnie” Bevel, she is where I acquired my green thumb.
We have a cute little fruit garden which consist of the following: blackberries, blue berries, raspberries, strawberries, plum trees, peach trees, and some roses, of course.  This is all contained in a fence to keep the chickens from eating the berries.  The cute little goats Romeo and Maestro have been free roaming since they were kids (pun intended) , they sleep on feed storage boxes on the back porch of the chicken coop.  Well we all know what kids grow up to be DAMN DEMENTED GOATS teenagers. 
The other day, I had walked outside to check on something, when I walked back into the house and slammed the back boor where everyone in the house came running to see what the problem was, as I scream at Jen to post of craigslist I have two Damn goats to give away or find me a fondue recipe and I really didn’t care which.  As she looks at me, she see me holding a green lemon (mind you lemons are not ripe until they turn yellow.) She says “I take it YOUR goats broke my lemon off the tree?”  Well no joke I sure as heck would not pick a green lemon,  I told her it was not that they broke the lemon off the tree but the way they did it.  They climbed onto  the plumeria pot (2-1/2’ diameter) to eat the leaves, it turned over and broke a limb and the lemon.  This all happened on a Sunday afternoon……fast forward to Monday.
After work Brad and I moved everything: 5 trees, 3 roses, and about 20 fruit bushes (all with thorns mind you) out of the fenced fruit garden since the chickens will have no interest until spring when the berries begin to bloom.  You can come help me build a fence this winter, if you would like.   We finished under the headlights of vehicles, as this took about 4 hard hours of work. 
Guess what we moved into the fence? Yep that’s right the GOATS!
DSC_0040
DSC_0044
Since then I have had to build them a climbing toy (a HUGE pile of firewood) and a shelter similar to a bus stop kids use in the north while waiting for the school bus. 
Why?
All because Jen did not want to try Goat Fondue!  (the title)

1 comment:

Heather said...

or Goat Fondon't?? Well I am glad you were able to figure a solution because those little guys are sure cute. My boys and I have been conspiring to raise a couple of meat goats... I think we may through 4-H. I keep hearing about how they keep a person on their toes! Looking forward to updates on Romeo and Maestro.