Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I need your help....

When Jen agreed to let me start my midlife crisis lifelong dream, of having a hobby farm, she put one stipulation.  Under no circumstance is it allowed to look like a north Alabama Redneck Farm.  It has to look presentable. 

Having been to many farms in order to acquire animals, I have seen some really neat looking farms and I have seen some that I felt like I needed a shower just for stopping by.  Here are a few photos I have obtained from google that we would not deem acceptable for the look we are after at Rosebriar Farm.


imagesCAEM77F0 imagesCAFM06FE imagesCAVK3AZR imagesCAE13I1B

Now where I need your help is I am wanting my farm to grow but I have to do this on a limited budget.  Seeing as I have to do within a limited budget but don’t want it to look like a redneck convention.  I need you ideas of ways to increase the size with real cost savings ideas. 

As you can see in some photos I have created the antique looking coop with recycled lumber from an old unpainted house.





I have made changes to the run since this was taken; this was a temporary fence.




My roosts were made from tree limbs...





For my goats a place to play I have created a wood pile from a tree a friend cut down, I do not have a picture but a pile of wood looks natural in a field.


Come on followers give me you ideas, and send a link to others you think could help.

1 comment:

Keetha Broyles said...

I don't have any cost effective ideas to share, more's the pity.

I do, however, have a feeling that your first photo (and quite possibly the second too) is not of a farm at all, but of a human habitation in a part of the world most of us can only imagine in our nightmares.

I walked in such a place last April and was profoundly affected. You can see it here

http://keethastuff.blogspot.com/2010/04/must-share.html