Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sequatchie Cove Farm

For the few of you that actually read my blog, I would like to give you a tour of Sequatchie Cove Farm from the guy's perspective.  If you want the Southern Belle’s perspective check out Jen’s version. 
Before we get into the tour, we invited friends family to accompany us.  Connie, my mother-in-law, Lauren a young lady who attends church with us and Alyssa her 2-1/2 year old little girl.  As Jen so eloquently put it I looked like a grandfather with Alyssa, hummmm well I do love her like she is mine.

DSC_0122

Believe it or not this is where they grow shitake mushrooms, It has to be Oak or a similar hardwood.  They are stacked, drilled with holes stuffed with sawdust infested with the mold spores.  The log is soaked in water to boost the spores growth.  These were in a well shaded area.  I thought this was really interesting I had seen mushroom hunting (on TV) in the northwest, but never really though about farming them.

DSC_0137

While my photographer only captured one there were about 6 beehives.  The bees are very useful in the production of their flowers (see the photo below) and Mr. Keener said the honey “wasn’t bad either”.

DSC_0128 

We have seriously considered honey bees.  We sometimes get fresh honey from my brother-in-law in Nashville however, he sells so much getting ample free sample jars is getting harder.
They had a large flock of chickens, of various breeds, which are purchased locally.  They get about 3 dozen eggs (mostly brown, a few white and some green/blue) a day but they have the same problem I do.  If you let chickens free range the will not always lay their eggs in nesting boxes.  I had chicken hiding her eggs in the end of a fallen tree, when I found them there were 17 eggs.  Because of this I get 12-15 if the coop is closed, when I let them free range I get 9-12.


DSC_0182

Pictured above are many of their hens.  Below is Mr. Keener and I walking, he is carrying egg baskets.

DSC_0124

Here is a quick peek at my eggs and basket.

DSC_0131


Next we found the cattle.

  DSC_0150

A couple of young cows, These are Jersey/Devon crosses.  The Devon is an interesting breed, the cows (female) have horns as do the bulls (male).  Sorry, my photographer failed to capture this interesting fact. Jersey is known to be a milk cow, Devons are multipurpose (meat, milk, working).

DSC_0178

While we were there it was milking time, while they do not milk by hand, they have to express some milk after cleaning the teat before attaching the vacuum.

DSC_0180

Here is the milk in the vacuum chamber just below the cows udders before it goes into the tank.  Now if they do not sell milk where does it all go.  The creamery (cheese factory) of course.  Because it is a clean room, we could not go in but here is a photo.

 DSC_0146

He are the sheep, they are one of the meats they provide.  
DSC_0152


If you have never had lamb, I strongly encourage you to try a recipe from Fiddle Dee Dee; Braised Lamb Shanks. 


caution

This recipe can cause fights between siblings and could even lead to spousal abuse, if there are not enough pieces.  Jen and the kids almost ripped my are off one night because I wanted the last piece.
I really hope you enjoyed the farm tour and encourage you to check out Sequatchie Cove Farm online or in person.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Nice post. I am curious about the mushroom growing... living in the NW people go mushrooming a lot, but I am not skilled enough to pick. There are also a lot of truffles grown here and I have always wanted to get someone on the property to check if we have them.

I noticed the naked neck chickens... do they eat them too? In my research I read they were a good meat chicken.