Saturday, September 11, 2010

How do you know if you are accepted as a farmer?

Growing up when I went to the co-op with my Uncle Hooley, he was treated as a regular there.  That told me they recognized him as a farmer; it was only a hobby for him, he was a welder for DuPont.  He passed away earlier and in his eulogy, in addition to be being a grandfather, dad, etc, he was called a farmer.  Again showing me he was accepted as others as a farmer.
1-1/2 years ago, when I began Rosebriar Farm I purchased my first feed and supplies at Tractor Supply because of their location.  I asked another hobby farmer at work if there was a local store to get cheaper supplies.  He referred me to Cagle’s, it is in Bryant but I pass it on my way home but had never really paid attention to the store.
On a much smaller scale than my Uncle Hooley, I had that first accepted farmer feeling a little while ago.  I stopped by the local feed store. 
Cagle's Feed & Farm Inc

31245 Al Highway 71

Bryant, AL 35958

256-597-3372

As I parked a young man asked what I needed, I told him and my truck was loaded before I made it into the store.  Since I do not carry cash, I handed the gentleman a debit card, and believe it or not, I actually had money in the bank.  He asked debit and I said Yes.  The card would not run, he asked if he could run it as credit because they had been having trouble with the machine.  When he ran the card as credit it still would not work.  He then opened a ticket book and began writing, as he explained the machine must not be working and he would just put the feed on a ticket.  He said you can just pay it the next time you are in here.  I told him several times how much I appreciated it.  His only response was that is how we take care of our customers.
Like a little child, as soon as I was far enough away to get cell reception, I call Jen and said “I believe I have been accepted as a farmer”.

4 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

I LOVE this - - - on so many levels!

I hope you keep finding farmer acceptance, and "they" keep treating you like the valuable customer that you are!

Jennifer said...

You will always be a farmer to me, my darling!

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

Stopped by after seeing your handsome fellow at the Barnyard Bash. I really enjoyed reading your blog... I am on a similar path, although still just chickens at this point.

I'm looking forward to keeping up with your farm:)