Sunday, February 7, 2010

How it Started.

Baby chick

Above – one of the original eight three week old chicks on the day we bought them.

Below - “Big Dawg” one of the original eight; he is rightfully named as he is the leader of the flock. 

big dawg4

Since about the age of twelve I have dreamed of owning a farm, I believe this began when my uncle John “Hoolie” Bevel would ask me to look after his small cattle farm when he would go to National Guard Summer Camp or on a family vacation.   Jennifer and I had been married since 1995 and she has heard many stories and dreams of me owning a farm. 

Saturday, February 7th, 2009 we went to the flea market in Collinsville, AL where they have a large section for livestock.  I started very small, with the purchase of 8 Rhode Island Red chicks, and a small cage to house them.  Being afraid of failure, I had spent many hours reading and studying how to properly take care of chickens.  I wanted my farm to be a success and research is the way I had planned to be successful.  A year later I have now raised 2 turkeys, that were slaughtered for an amazing Thanksgiving Dinner.  I have about 40 chickens of various breeds, a couple of rabbits (pets), and a pot bellied pig (Christmas gift from my wife’s sister and husband). 

The next logical step was to now name our farm, as we realized this was working for us.  I have always had a true love for flowers, this started in early childhood while spending time with my great grandmother, Laura “Ninnie” Bevel as she had a green thumb.  She could take a dying plant from someone and in a matter of a few weeks have it revived and ready for you to take back.  My favorite of all flowers are roses; I can’t say a rose because there as soooooo are so many varieties and I love the most of them.  I currently have around 15 rose bushes around my home therefore the most logical name would include a rose as a title.  Our farm has been named “Rosebriar Farm”. 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you’ll enjoy your trip around the farm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Audley, I am Lynn from the VintageNest and I popped over here from Jenny's blog. You will have to tell us more about the chicks. I am sure Jenny told you how one of our chicks is now a chick-he for he crowed so lustily right before Christmas. I swore I did not want a rooster but he is so beautiful now and has become more like a pet to us. He does crow all the time and I mean allllll the time. My husband says when he is even fishing down at the other end of the lake he can hear Mr. Snow crowing. Anyway....congrats. on your blog. I will be interested in how your roses do. I love them but only have four or five bushes. ~ Lynn