Friday, December 3, 2010

Been preoccupied with Pop

IMG_0034
IMG_0040
I have not blogged in a couple of weeks because instead of taking care of my farm I’ve been taking care of my granddad.  Pop had a heart attack on November 21st, the day before he turned 84.  He spent a week in the hospital getting stable enough for open heart surgery in which he had:
  • Maze procedure (to correct atrial fibrillation)
  • Quintuple (5) bypass
  • Mitral Valve repair
Pop did not become my Pop until 30 years ago, I was 9 when he married my Grandmother and he is the only granddad I have ever had.   He had no children before he became a widower but he quickly figured out the role of a granddad  to the point.
I have said many times  IN THE FUTURE, when I become a granddad my goal is to be as good at it as Pop is. 
Here is an idea of how funny and supportive Pop can be.  When I get a new animal, I always show it to Pop (my granddad) in April, I had just picked up new chicks and stepped to show him and Granny.  He asked why I did not get any ducks.  I responded saying I did not have any water for them.  In a very matter-of-fact tone he looked at me and said “dig a hole”.  
So for the past two week the farm has some what suffered, I did make sure everything had food and water but Pop comes first.  I have spent many hours at the hospital and enjoyed being able to be with him.  It made me feel good tonight when I walked in the Surgical ICU to visit and the nurse said he had been asking for me. 
Thanks to all the people who have been praying for Pop and please continue to do so, he had a serious surgery and is 84 it could be a long recovery. 

2 comments:

Joan said...

I'm glad you can spend time with him and enjoy him while you have him. This was made clear to me this summer when my favorite aunt fell down the stairs and broke several vertebrae. I was able to get away for 10 days to visit her in the hospital daily. She had complications and passed away less than a month later. I'm so glad I didn't put it off and miss that time with her. I now tell everyone to just do it - take the time NOW to visit and tell people you love them because we don't know what tomorrow brings - it may be too late. God Bless and keep you, your grandfather and your family close to his heart.

Heather said...

Beautiful post... and one can't be reminded too much that it is the relationships in life that matter. Thank you.