Thursday, May 6, 2010

I have 2 girls in 4H

Kenzie-Grace and Maddie are in 4H and recently each had a project of building a bird house. I researched a few designs to give them some options where they would not have to turn in identical projects. I should have some pictures of the construction to share but Jen’s computer crashed and we lost the pics. Now that the projects have been judged and I have let them sit in their rooms for them to admire trip over as I procrastinated on hanging them for a month.

Here you go.

finch house

Maddie’s is a finch house; as you can see it does not have a typical hole. The bird goes into the triangle opening and drops down inside the house. The lag screws (silver dots) will be painted over with black paint, to keep from being an eye sore.

woodpecker house

Kenzie-Grace chose to build a home for a woodpecker, black with large white polka dots. It hangs level however with the shape of the tree it appears to be tilted.

I did assist but the girls did their own measuring, marking, cutting nailing, drilling and painting. K-G received a second place ribbon and Maddie receive a participant ribbons but Jen and I were extremely proud because they did the work themselves. The hard work is now a part of our little farm.

No comments: