Thursday, May 20, 2010

Define a “farm”

Merriam-Webster defines a farm as “a tract of land devoted to agricultural purposes.”

BUT

I believe there is a little more to it; you have to actually raise something. It may be wheat, corn, beans, bovine, horses, chickens or something, but does this really do it. I thought so until Tuesday when I realized to be a true farm that raises animals you have to go one step farther. If all you do is buy animals and raise them you are well on your way to being a farm, but I really believe you have to go just a little farther. About 3 weeks ago Scarlett, a white silkie, whom I have written about before went “broody”; she was ready to sit eggs. She has done this a couple of times before but lost interest after just a few days. The second time I gave her baby chicks, I had purchased to raise; to which she was a fine foster parent. Well this time I decided I would let her try, I gave her one egg from Lilly , a cute little feather footed bantam.

AND

Now we have our first animal hatched on our farm.

lilly1

Lilly (above) Scarlett (below)

sitting

scarlett and baby chick

Here is Scarlet and the day old chick.

baby chick

I’m reaching through the back door, holding the chick after Scarlet stopped pecking me and let me hold it.

So to Rosebriar Farm, Scarlet and Bonnie Blue: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

No comments: