Thursday, March 25, 2010

Where do your farm ideas come from?

Martha's chicken coop2

Martha Stewarts’ roost from http://www.themarthablog.com/

big dawg4DSCN0211

The above photos show each end of our roost.

As many of you may know from Jen’s blog, I have been out of service this week as I had surgery on Monday. I had a tumor removed and the right adrenal gland ( the tumor was attached to the gland), and since my gall bladder was only functioning 40% of the time, it was also removed. Any way, between medicated naps I thought I would show a small farm project that was an idea Jen found on Martha’s blog.

This is a roost the Jen thought my chickens would like. This project takes a little longer than think no because of the project but finding the right tree. You either need to find two tree with similar sized forks or find one tree with two forks that are a similar size. You will also need to find a tree with a long semi-straight section to be the cross section of the roost. After spending a good bit of time searching I found the perfect tree it had both forks and the cross section. That kept from having a lot of waste.

Also in back of Martha’s picture you see a couple of ladder type roosts she had created for her chickens. I built one similar and it is on the inside of the coop; this is one of the preferred places for my ladies to sleep.

While I did not have any instructions, it was self explanatory. Each end in about 12-15” deep with a little concrete to secure it.

I would have never thought of going to Martha Stewarts blog for farming ideas but my lovely wife reads a lot of blogs and will recommend some for ideas that I usually find useful.

No comments: